Ever had a shirt that was too big for you? Most times when people have extra-large shirts like that, they hardly wear them but that doesn’t have to be the case. There are a couple of ways in which you can make extra-large shirts fit properly. This is called shrinking. I mean we all know what shrinking is but you might be wondering how you do it to T-shirts. Well, that’s why I made this post because today in this article I will show you how to shrink a shirt so that it can fit properly.
How to shrink a shirt
There are two main ways how to shrink a shirt. The first method is the boiling method and the second one is the washer/dryer method. Both of these methods are really easy and simple to do.
Boiling water method
The boiling water method is pretty simple and easy to follow. Most people who don’t have access to a washer and dryer might find this method to be the most useful.
Steps for this method:
- Boil a large pot of water on the stove.
- When it is boiling remove the pot from the stove.
- Now wait five minutes and then place the shirt inside the boiling water.
- Then let the shirt soak for 5 minutes. The longer the shirt is in the water the more it will shrink.
- Drain the water and let the shirt cool off.
- Then wring the shirt out and let it air dry.
There is something you need to know when it comes on to the shrinking process. The longer you wait for the boiling water to cool down the less the shrinkage will be. For example, if I let the boiling water cool down for 15 minutes before placing the shirt into it then the shirt will most likely only shrink down to 1/2 size, but if I place the shirt inside the boiling water immediately then it will shrink down 1 to 2 sizes instead. The reason why I recommended waiting 5 minutes is that it’s somewhat in the middle ground where the shirt will most likely shrink down 1/2 to 1 in size.
The washer and dryer method of shrinking a shirt is by far the easiest method. While I do believe the boiling method is still a bit more effective; the washer/dryer method allows you to place multiple shirts or even cotton sweaters inside of them.
Here is how you shrink a shirt using the washing machine and dryer:
- Place the T-shirt inside the washing machine and use the warmest water option.
- After washing the shirt place it inside the dryer and set it on medium heat. And let it dry 2 times for 60 minutes.
- Repeat the process if you want more shrinking.
Throughout this article/post I showed you two incredibly easy but also effective ways how to shrink a shirt. I hope you found this useful and if it helped you please share it with more people.
By the wat if you are interested in how to unshrink a shirt then you should check this out:
Comments are closed.