Maggots are very disgusting. They tend to be in areas where there is a lot of bacteria and this includes your trashcans/garbage bins. If your trash can has maggots and you don’t know how to deal with them don’t worry In this article I will show you how to get rid of maggots in trash can.
What are maggots and where do they come from?
Maggots are larvae of flies; in particular, they are houseflies, cheese flies, and blowflies, rather than mosquitoes and crane flies, which are Nematocera flies.
Flies usually like to find places where there is food and your trash can is one of these places. When flies find an area with the food they usually lay their eggs there and their eggs become maggots. So it’s always best to keep your trashbags sealed because if you keep flies away from your garbage bins/trash cans you will be less likely to have a maggot infestation.
Will garbage man take garbage with maggots?
This question has been asked a good amount of times and all I have to say to this is yes, the garbage man will still empty your garbage even if you have a lot of maggots in the trash can. When the garbage collector disposes of trash they arent looking inside of your trash can, depending on where you live the truck usually picks it up so no one will see inside of it ( and even if they did, they would still have to dispose of the trash).
So while the garbage man will still dispose of your garbage even if you have maggots in your trash can, this doesn’t mean that your maggot infestation problem will be solved. You still have to get rid of the maggots or prevent them from showing up. Below I’ve listed a couple of ways you can get rid of maggots in your trash can.
Different Ways to get rid of them
- Use bleach-Mix bleach with equal parts of water and use this to spray the maggots inside the trash can. After spraying them close the trash can and wait for 30 mins. The harsh bleach fumes will suffocate the maggots. You can also use a hose and fill the bottom of the garbage bin with water and then pour some bleach into it. Make sure that you put enough bleach so that it’ll be enough to get rid of the maggots. Now close the lid of the trash can and wait 20-30 mins and then open it and wash the inside with bleach.
- boiling water- Boiling water is a simple yet effective method of getting rid of maggots. All you need to do is boil a pot or kettle filled with water and pour it all over the maggots inside the trash can. This will definitely eliminate all the maggots that were in it.
While this is a good method there are still more ways to get rid of maggots in your trash can.
- Use Vinegar– Attach a spray nozzle onto a bottle of vinegar and spray the maggots. Do this until all the maggots are eliminated. You can also fill the bottom of the garbage bin with water and pour a lot of vinegar into it and close the lid. Then after an hour, all the maggots should be dead.
- Mix the all-purpose cleaner with boiling water– For this, all you have to do is mix the all-purpose cleaner with equal parts boiling water and pour the mixture onto the maggots. This will get rid of all the maggots that were inside your trash can.
- Use insecticide– Insecticides works well on maggots. You can get insecticide at your local store online. If you are using a spray insecticide all you have to do is spray the maggots with it and also everywhere inside the trash can, then close it. Remember to wear a mask as insecticide can be very toxic to humans as well.
Ways to prevent maggots
Throughout this article, I’ve listed ways on how to get rid of maggots in trash cans but now I am going to tell you how to prevent them. There are three incredible methods you can use to prevent maggots from showing up in your trash can,
- Clean your trash can-cleanliness is a good way to prevent maggots. So if you want to avoid maggots from showing up inside your trash can just make sure you clean inside of it very often. It’s also best if you use bleach as its fumes will get scared away from flies from going inside your bin.
- Use big cart liner trash bags– Let’s say you have already cleaned inside your trash can and you want an additional way to prevent maggots. Just use jumbo garbage bags and place them inside the trash can/garbage bin. This is a great method because even if the maggots do appear in they are only inside the garbage bag.
- Seal garbage/trash– Make sure that you double your garbage bags so that if the one with the garbage rips there is still another bag to hold everything. This is good because when garbage bags (filled with garbage) rips and tears it allows flies to go inside and find any food-related things inside of it and lay their eggs witch becomes maggots. So it’s always best to double your garbage bags.
These are the best ways on how to get rid of maggots in trash can. I hope you find the method that worked best for you.
Comments are closed.