If you have a lot of dry erase markers lying around and you also have kids that like to play with a lot of items, then you know that eventually, your walls will have marks on them made by the markers you had laying around. In this article I will show you how to get dry erase marker off your wall.
Easy way to get dry erase marker off your walls
Things you’ll need:
- Cotton balls
- Rubbing alcohol
- Clean damp rag
- Hair spray
- Office/magic eraser
- Nail polish remover
Rubbing alcohol/cotton ball method
Rubbing alcohol is one of the best things you can use to clean certain stains around your home. SO it will do a really good job of getting dry erase markers off your walls. It doesn’t matter whether if its, writing, drawings, or simple lines, rubbing alcohol will get rid of it.
- Get a small container or dish and pour about 1/4 to a half cup of rubbing alcohol into it. Then dip a cotton ball into the rubbing alcohol.
- Gently wipe the area on the wall (with the cotton ball) that has the dry erase marker lines.
- Use the damp rag to wash off the rubbing alcohol residue that’s on the wall. The reason why you do this is because you don’t want the paint on the wall to get damaged over time.
This is just one of the methods you can use to get dry erase markers off walls. Here is another method that includes hairspray.
Using hairspray to get dry erase markers off walls may sound a bit unusual but a lot of people said that this method worked for them. So if the previous method didn’t work for you I suggest you try this one.
Before you do this make sure to spray another wall in your house with hairspray to see if it will remove the paint. If not then it is safe to use.
- The first thing you need to do is to spray the area where the marker was used and leave the hairspray residue on that same area for 5-10 minutes.
- After that just use a dry cloth to wipe the area in a circular motion.
- Then use a damp cloth to wipe the same area again.
This method will definitely make your wall spotless.
Magic eraser method
Magic eraser is great for cleaning a lot of things and getting rid of stains, so I’m pretty sure it would do a good job of getting dry erase marker off of walls.
- Get a magic eraser sponge and dip it under running water.
- After doing that just squeeze out the excess water and use it to gently scrub the marker ink off the wall.
- If this method doesn’t work just repeat it over and over until you see results.
If this still didn’t work for you then maybe the next method will.
Acetone free Nail polish remover method
This method may seem weird but trust me it will work. Most Nail polish removers have rubbing alcohol in them. This is great for dissolving nail polish and removing them. it should do the same for the dry erase marker ink.
Before you try to follow the steps below, make sure to test the nail polish remover on a different wall where no one will see it. If the paint is being removed by the nail polish then I suggest not to use it. However, if the paint isn’t being removed then I think it’s ok if you proceed with the following steps.
- Get a cotton ball or swab and pour a little nail polish remover onto it.
- Then use the cotton ball to lightly scrub the area on the wall that has the marker ink on it. If the marker stain is old you will probably have to repeat this step a couple of times.
- After wiping the wall with the nail polish remover, use a damp cloth to rinse off the wall.
This method is probably the simplest one to follow. Just follow the instructions.
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste onto a toothbrush
- and use it to gently scrub the marks on the wall.
Fabric stain remover spray method
Using a fabric stain remover spray like oxi clean or resolve is a surprisingly effective way of getting dry erase marker ink off your walls.
- Spray the marks with the fabric stain remover
- After spraying the wall allow the spray residue to remain on it for a couple of minutes.
- Then use a soft cloth to blot away the marks on the wall.
These are the best methods you can use to get dry erase marker off your wall. Now I am going to answer some questions that a lot of people seems to ask when it comes on to dry eraser marker cleaning.
Some other cleaning related articles you might be interested in:
Questions related to dry eraser marker cleaning
How to erase dry erase markers out of clothes?
Just pour a little rubbing alcohol on the stained area of your clothe and dab the area with a piece of paper towel.
How to get dry erase marker off of skin?
Pour a little rubbing alcohol on a damp clean cloth and use it to remove the dry erase marker off of your skin. You
How to clean dry erase marker from carpet?
To remove the dry erase marker from the carpet; what you need to do is to dampen a sponge with rubbing alcohol and use it to blot and absorb the stains out of your carpet.
I hoped you find this article on how to get dry eraser marker off your wall helpful.