Toilets aren’t usually hard to clean but when they are stained, this can be a problem. But don’t worry because this article will show you how to clean a really stained toilet.
What causes toilet stains?
There are many things that cause toilet stains such as the following:
- Calcium build-up
- Mold stains
These stains can be hard to remove after a while so that is why I will be showing you some easy ways on how to get rid of them.
How to clean a stained toilet bowl?
Use vinegar and baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda are the best combinations to use when cleaning anything. So Mixing these two together will create the best cleaner for a stained toilet bowl. Yes, you heard that right, no need for purchasing expensive products that might damage your toilet. Baking soda and vinegar are completely safe to use.
To clean your toilet with baking soda and vinegar just do the following:
- Pour a few cups of vinegar inside the toilet (make sure you pour it on the side of the bowl) and let it sit there for around 2-3 minutes.
- Then sprinkle a few spoons of baking soda into the bowl and use your toilet brush to scrub the bowl. Make sure to scrub the stains.
- Make sure to let both the vinegar and baking soda mixture sit in the toilet for 30-45 minutes. Doing this will make cleaning the toilet ring way easier.
- After that use, the toilet brushes and clean inside the toilet again.
- Now flush the toilet to rinse it.
Use dawn dish soap
For a product that’s mostly used for cleaning kitchen items such as plates, utensils, and pots, dawn dish soap is surprisingly good at cleaning and removing tough stains from other things including your toilet. One of the hardest parts about cleaning a toilet is the tough stains that feel impossible to remove but with dawn dish soap removing them should be a breeze.
To clean your toilet with dawn dish soap just follow these steps:
- Squeeze a few drops of dawn dish soap inside of the toilet.
- Pour 1-2 cups of boiling hot water into the toilet as well.
- Use a toilet brush to scrub the ring stains that are inside of it.
- Then let the dish soap sit in the toilet for around an hour.
- Now use the toilet brush and scrub the toilet once more and then flush it.
Clean inside the toilet with borax
Borax is mostly used for laundry but it’s an excellent product to use when you want to remove stains out of something. This option will be similar to the first one minus the vinegar.
To remove stains out of your toilet all you have to do is:
- Sprinkle a few cups of borax into the toilet bowl. Make sure that you sprinkle it on the stains and on the sides of the toilet (inside).
- Pour 1-2 cups of boiling hot water into the toilet. The reason why you want it to be boiling hot is that it will make getting rid of the stains much easier.
- Use a scrubbing brush or cleaning cloth to scrub away the stains. Keep doing this for around 2-5 minutes. If you are using cloth make sure to wear gloves.
- Now flush the toilet.
A lot of people don’t like to use bleach when cleaning a lot of things which is weird but understandable. While bleach may have great cleaning capabilities especially when it comes on to removing really tough stains; it is somewhat harmful to some people. This is why you need to wear protective gears when using bleach and by protective gears, I don’t mean something equivalent to a hazmat suit but things such as gloves, facemask, and protective eyewear. That’s all you need to wear. But don’t let this scare you from using bleach because there are a lot of people who use it with only wearing a face mask.
To clean your toilet with bleach you need to:
- Pour some of the bleach inside of the toilet.
- Then let it sit in there for around 40 minutes.
- (optional) then add a few drops of any dish soap into it.
- Now use a cleaning brush to scrub inside the toilet.
- After scrubbing inside the toilet, just flush it to rinse clean it.
After doing this it’s best to keep the toilet seat up and also leave the bathroom door open so that the bleach smell can go away.
Use pumice stone
Pumice stones are a great way to remove tough stains from your toilet because they are harder than a bristle brush but soft enough to not damage your toilet.
Here are the steps required to clean your toilet with a pumice stone:
- Make sure the pumice stone is wet
- Use the stone to lightly scrape away the toilet stains. Doing this does not require your full strength.
- After you are finished cleaning the toilet with the pumice stone, it’s best to throw it away. Some people usually flush them as they don’t mess with the sewer system but I like to be careful so I throw the ones that I’m finished using inside the trash can.
Use coco-cola or Pepsi
This might be the weirdest option in this article but trust me it is really effective. A lot of people have tried and it worked for them. It’s also best if you use cola from the can or bottle and not the ones you got from a fast food place like McDonald’s, this is because the colas at fast-food areas are usually less acidic compared to the ones that in the bottle or can.
For this method to work just do the following:
- Pour the cola inside of the toilet.
- Let the cola sit in the toilet for 1-2 hours
- Now sprinkle a tiny amount of baking soda and squeeze a few drops of dish soap into it.
- Now use a toilet cleaning brush to scrub away the stains. This should be easy as the acids in the cola will help to break down the stains making them easy to remove.
- After doing that just flush the toilet.
Is it safe to use leave-in toilet cleaners?
While most leave-in toilet cleaners will definitely get rid of the stains inside the toilet, they will also damage the toilet over time. SO it’s best to not use them very often and instead try using the methods that I mentioned above.
How often should I clean my toilet?
It’s best to clean your toilet once a week or every two weeks as this will help to prevent limescale build-up inside of it.
Comments are closed.