We usually clean a lot of things in our homes, especially in our kitchens but there’s one thing that most people usually overlook and that is the sink. Normally sinks aren’t usually hard to clean but sometimes they can get some tough stains on them even the ones made out of stainless steel. In this article, I will show you how to clean your stainless steel sink and make it look brand new again.
What causes your stainless steel sink to have stains on it?
Normally it is really hard to make anything made out of stainless steel to have stains on them but something like water and soap can stain them pretty easily. This is bad for sinks because they constantly have water and soap running on them all the time and this can cause your sink to have soap stains and hard water stains.
I will now show you a couple of ways to clean your stainless steel sink
Vinegar is good at removing Hard water and soap stains. To clean your sink with vinegar you need to do the following:
- Get a clean cloth and dip it in 1 cup of vinegar
- Use the cloth to clean the sink. Make sure to clean everywhere that had any stains on them.\
- After doing that rinse the cloth or use another damp one to wipe the sink again. Doing this will get rid of the vinegar smell.
- Then use another dry cloth to wipe the sink. It’s always good to do this because this will prevent any future hard water stains from building up.
Use baking soda
Baking soda is very good at cleaning and removing tough stains from anything. To clean your sink with baking soda just do the following:
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the sink. Make sure to sprinkle it on the hard water stains as well.
- Get a damp cleaning sponge and use it to scrub the sink with baking soda. Do this for around 2- 4 minutes.
- Optional- sprinkle some of the baking soda inside the disposal to freshen it up.
- Rinse the sink and use a dry cloth to wipe away the excess liquid.
Use dish soap
Anytime a write about cleaning anything I usually mention using dish soap. This is because most dish soaps are really good at cleaning, degreasing, and removing tough stains from anything. Now you might be saying “inst the reason why the sink is stained is that theres’ soap on it” and while that might be true; the only reason why the soap stained the sink was that it wasn’t cleaned up for a long time. The same thing can be said about water, water can be used to clean things but if there are water spills on something for a long time they will eventually become hard water stains.
Here is how to clean your sink with dish soap:
- Get a cleaning sponge and place it under running water.
- Then squeeze a few drops of dish soap onto the sponge and use it to scrub the sink.
- After scrubbing the sink, you should rinse away the soap and use a dry cloth to dry it.
Make sure that there isn’t any soap left on it.
Shine with olive oil
This method isn’t really about cleaning but mostly about renewing your sink. After a while, our sinks can look pretty old even if we clean them very often. There is no way to prevent this from happening but you can make them look new again by doing the following:
- Get a dry cloth and make sure to wipe away any moisture that’s inside the sink.
- Now pour a small amount (about 3-4 cork full) of olive oil on the cloth.
- Use the cloth to shine the sink.
- After doing that use a dry cloth to wipe away the excess oil from the sink.
After following the steps above your stainless steel sink should be looking brand new again.
Use lemons and baking soda
These are two of the best Stainless steel sink cleaner that is really affordable. We already know that baking soda is great for cleaning things but some of you might be wondering about the lemon. Well, lemons have citrus acids in them which is great for breaking down tough stains.
Steps for cleaning sink with lemon and baking soda:
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the sink
- Then cut a piece of lemon into two.
- Now use one side of the lemon to scrub the sink with the baking soda
- After doing this you should rinse out the sink and dry it.
Things to avoid
Don’t let soap and water dry on the sink
I mentioned this earlier, but soap and water can dry up and create stains on your sink. The best way to prevent hard water and soap stains from appearing on your sink is to rinse and dry your sink every time you are finished using it.
Don’t use steel wool to clean it
Steel wool will damage the sink because it will scrape/scratch it which will ruin its appearance. So if you want to clean your sink it’s best to use a sponge or cloth instead.
Avoid scraping and cutting your sink
This should be something that everyone knows but you would be surprised to find out how many people use knives and other sharp things on their sinks. This is something you should avoid doing because this will scrape and scratch your sink.
Comments are closed.